SteriFx launches GRAS-status Campylobacter solution

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: Campylobacter jejuni, Gastroenteritis

SteriFx has developed an antimicrobial solution that it claims is
proven to be effective against Campylobacter jejuni, a major cause
of food poisoning in meat and poultry products.

Its GRAS (Generally Recognised As Safe) status allows for the direct use on food products as a secondary food additive.

"The success of FreshFx in killing Campylobacter jejuni is important to the poultry and meat processing facilities,"​ said John Dankert, vice president of research and development for SteriFx.

"We are glad that we can contribute to the reduction of C. jejuni, Listeria, Salmonella, E. coli and other harmful microbes which continue to be pervasive throughout processing plants."

Campylobacter is a foodborne pathogen found in several raw or mishandled foods, including poultry. It is the leading bacterial cause of human gastroenteritis in the US, with 40,000 cases and approximately 680 deaths documented annually.

A substantial portion of the illnesses and deaths are associated with meat and poultry products. Doses as low as 500 organisms have been reported to cause illness - equivalent to one drop of raw chicken juice.

There are several species of Campylobacter (C. jejuni, C. coli, C.lari and C. uppsaliensis) capable of causing human illness. C. jejuni is implicated in approximately 85 per cent of the cases with the remaining 15 per cent being caused by C. coli. These are referred to as thermophilic Campylobacters, being able to grow at 37oC - 42 oC.

A comprehensive review of Campylobacter in poultry processing, published earlier this year by scientists from North Carolina University, suggested that avian species are the most common host, probably because of their higher body temperature. Research has shown that Campylobacter reach their highest populations on poultry during the warmer months when up to 97 per cent of samples tested were positive for C. jejuni.

However Campylobacter outbreaks have also been associated with raw milk, contaminated water and contact with pets and farm animals.

The addition of C. jejuni to FreshFx's repertoire - which includes Salmonella, E. coli, and Listeria-fighting solutions - should therefore give processors a better weapon to control pathogens in their plants.

The antimicrobial solution is a clear, odourless, digestible aqueous liquid that is non-toxic despite its low pH. It has been approved by the USDA for on-line reprocessing of poultry and as a meat and poultry processing aid and shelf- life extender.

SteriFx​ specialises in antimicrobial solutions for food processing, food safety and disinfectant markets.

Related topics: Food Safety & Quality

Related news

Show more

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars