European plant-based protein sales are expected to exceed €250m by 2022. Supported by the category’s health halo and technological advancements, consumers are rapidly integrating plant-based substitutes into their diets. But how healthy are plant-based analogues? And how are innovators in the space driving the category forward?
Day Two of FoodNavigator’s 2021 broadcast summit, Positive Nutrition, will include two-hours of content focused in Plant-Based. Going live on Tuesday 23 March at 10.00 CET, this session will aim investigate how food and drink brands can best strike a balance between taste, texture, shelf-life, and healthy, in plant-based.
We will ask whether plant-based does actually mean healthier, and if not, what opportunities exist to improve the nutrition profile of plant-based products?
Event: Positive Nutrition: Plant-Based
Date: 23 March 2021
Time: 10.00-12.00 CET (9.00 – 11.00 GMT)
PRESENTATION ONE: Unilever’s Future Foods
Carla Hilhorst, EVP of R&D Foods and Refreshment, Unilever, will kick off the day with a presentation on Unilever’s Future Foods. The company launched its Future Foods commitments to make healthier and plant-based options accessible for all. Targets include growing its plant-based product sales to one billion, halving food waste in its direct operations, and doubling the number of products that deliver positive nutrition.
PRESENTATION TWO: Plant-based drink snacks: how to succeed in the taste battle
Leonardo Rubio Anselmi, Strategic Marketing Manager, Beverages and Nutritional Bars at IFF will talk about venturing out of the ‘comfortable breakfast zone’ and into the world of snacking. He believes tying plant-based into the high growth category can help manufacturers meet demand for both health and indulgence.
PANEL: Plant-based: Deserving of its ‘health halo’?
FoodNavigator journalist Flora Southey will be joined by an expert panel to discuss the nutritional challenges facing brands when development plant-based alternatives, and what opportunities exist to improve their health profile.
- What factors are driving the plant-based trend?
- Does plant-based mean healthier?
- What are the nutrition pain points in plant-based analogues?
- What innovations exist to lower salt, fat and sugar from plant-based products?
- Are there enough plant-based options in retail?
- How important is shelf placement when it comes to consumer health?
- Where is the innovation white space for plant-based brands?
- How is consumer demand for plant-based evolving?
The 45-minute panel will be followed by a 20 minute Q&A, where you’ll have the opportunity to have your say.
Our expert panel includes:
- Annika Boström-Kumlin, Chief Marketing Officer, Beanit
- Sarah Coe, Nutrition Scientist, British Nutrition Foundation
- Dom Dalton, General Manager, Soulfresh UK
- Carlotte Lucas, Corporate Engagement Manager, Good Food Institute Europe
- Leonardo Rubio Anselmi, Strategic Marketing Manager, Beverages and Nutritional Bars, IFF
- Stefan Uhlmann, Head Cereals, Business Unit Cereals, Nuts & Pulses, Döhler
Register for our session on Plant-Based HERE.
FoodNavigator will examine this and more across our FREE four-day broadcast event.
Arranged around eight healthy food pillars, FoodNavigator will be joined by a host of industry leaders to discuss:
- Wellness Ingredients
- Healthy Ageing
- Natural & Clean Label
- Allergens and Free-From
- Infant and Childhood Nutrition
- Reformulation & Fortification
- Healthy Snacking
Not available on 23 March? Don’t worry, if you register now you’ll be able to access our content on-demand after the live event.