DuPont Nutrition & Health has launched six extruded plant protein nuggets that deliver more protein and less sodium than previous offerings for use in nutrition bars, snacks and cereals.
“Snacking is an increasing trend around the globe, particularly among younger consumers. Our market research has revealed that more than two-thirds of millennials eat at least two snacks a day, and they are more likely to opt for high-protein snacks than any other age group,” said Chris Schmidt, bar industry team leader for DuPont Nutrition & Health's NAFTA region (the business area covered by the North American Free Trade Agreement).
“Applications like nutrition bars are well-positioned to deliver against consumer demands for high-protein, convenient and portable snacks that provide great sensory qualities.”
Outstanding performance of snack bars
According to Euromonitor, snack bars are expected to outperform the overall packaged food market globally to 2023, with particularly strong growth in Latin America (5% CAGR), Europe (4.3% CAGR), and North America (2.4% CAGR).
DuPont claims its newest offerings will enable producers to create healthy snacks with ‘a superior eating experience,’ as the foods retain their crispy, crunchy textures.
“These nuggets broaden our range of plant protein options that drive high protein content and unique textures,” said Jean Heggie, DuPont’s strategic marketing lead.
“Our plant-based nuggets help manufacturers differentiate their brands with improved nutritional profiles and exceptional eating experiences.”
The extended range includes:
- Supro Nuggets 310 LS: Oval-shaped soy protein nuggets that offer 80% protein and less than 120mg sodium per 100g
- Supro Soy Protein Nuggets with Cocoa: contain added cocoa for a deep, rich color, which resemble chocolate chips or cookie bits. Deliver 82% protein and available in a greater variety of shapes and sizes:
- Supro Nuggets 393: irregular, flake-like appearance
- Supro Nuggets 385: a larger barrel shape
- Supro Nuggets 398: traditional, oval shape
DuPont’s newest pea protein nugget range is made from conventionally grown, non-GMO yellow peas, which contain 70% protein (dry basis). Pea protein does not require allergen labelling.
- Trupro 1670 pea protein nuggets: firm texture and oval shape
- Trupro 1673 pea protein nuggets: irregular, flake-like shape that blends well in formulations with high grain, nut or seed content
In addition to its line of plant-based proteins, the company offers other ingredients for snacks through the DuPont Danisco portfolio, including options for digestive wellness, sugar reduction and increased fiber.