The Welsh Government, the devolved Government for Wales, has identified the food and drink industry as a priority sector to develop and move in positive new directions, embracing technology and advancements in research and development to put Wales at the forefront of food production.
Towards Sustainable Growth: An Action Plan for the Food and Drink Industry 2014 – 2020 sets out the Welsh Government’s ambition to grow sales in the food and drink sector by 30% by the year 2020. A central part of this plan is building on what is already an efficient system of business support for the food and drink industry, based on specific producer needs and supporting their development and business growth.
Wales has all the right ingredients to be innovative and competitive nationally and internationally, with:
- the Welsh Government working in partnership with the industry to sustainably grow the sector in Wales;
- specialist industry expertise with Food Innovation Centres supporting producers through every stage of new product development;
- excellent supply chain and sub-sector networks for sourcing raw materials;
- a highly skilled workforce with a renowned university system focussed on industrial collaboration and research and development;
- high levels of financial support and grants available;
- a strategic location with rail, air and sea links to all major UK and mainland European markets; and
- Quality and competitively priced commercial and industrial property.