Protein Vision is a two-day interactive broadcast series brought to you by the editorial team behind FoodNavigator.
Over four sessions live-streamed on 8-9 June we will examine the trends shaping innovation in the alt protein space, from the latest plant-based innovation drive to advanced cellular technologies and cutting-edge approaches to fermentation.
On day 1, we’re focusing on meat alternatives. Alongside our line-up of expert speakers, FoodNavigator journalists will profile the current category growth opportunities that can be unlocked by plant-based innovation, the drive to develop ever more sophisticated analogue products, and the sector’s push into new consumption occasions. We’ll also be imagining what the latest protein innovation – from cellular meat to protein made from light – could mean for the future of food.
Register for free to hear from speakers including Unilever’s The Vegetarian Butcher, Quorn, Ecotone, Bunge, Givaudan, Doehler and more.
Meat Alternatives, 8 June
Innovation in plant-based alternatives to meat is creating ever more sophisticated analogues that are able to mimic the taste and texture of the real thing. Join us as we profile the latest ingredients, technology and culinary science propelling innovation in the space.
Can plant-based take a bigger bite out of the meat market?
The rise-and-rise of plant-based alternatives is well documented, as innovation brings what was once a niche proposition into the mainstream. In terms of buzz, the category is punching well above its weight. But can it maintain momentum and keep growth going? We'll set out to answer this and more in the first session of Protein Vision 2022.
- 11.00-11.15am CEST / 10.00-10.15am UK: Leveraging scale for maximum impact with The Vegetarian Butcher: What role do brands play in driving growth of the plant-based sector? How important is it to leverage scale and reach to boost consumption? And is it possible for mission driven plant-based brands to thrive in a corporate environment? Join us as we catch up with Hugo Verkuil, CEO of The Vegetarian Butcher, to hear about the brand’s roll-out across the globe, innovation - and innovation challenges - in plant-based meats, and how the brand sits within Unilever.
- 11.15-11.35am CEST / 10.15-10.35am UK: Lumina Intelligence presents shopper insights and menu trend tracking data to examine what consumers want from the plant-based segment.
- 11.35am-12.30pm CEST / 10.35-11.30am UK: Plant-based fatigue? Innovation to combat concerns of category slowdown: The plant-based meat alternative segment has been growing at a sharp clip. But we have begun to see some evidence of this trajectory slowing. Our expert panel asks: What can be done to maintain consumer excitement? How can brands, innovators and influencers support the continued transition to plant-based diets? From sustainability to health and animal welfare, what messages are cutting through the noise? FoodNavigator and our expert panel will be answering this and more.
Meat 2.0: Innovation shaping the future of slaughter-free meat
To date, innovation has driven phenomenal growth in plant-based meat alternatives. Products that mimic the taste, texture, mouthfeel and even cooking experience of meat have wooed an ever-growing number of consumers to the fixture. As innovators search for that elusive better bite, what technology and trends will shape future product development? Session two of Protein Vision 2022 investigates.
- 15.00-15.15pm CEST / 14.00-14.15pm UK: Quorn Foods talks extending channel reach in plant-based: Expanding distribution points and making plant-based options the go-to choice for consumers in- or out-of-home will be critical to the sector’s future. Innovation and collaboration have played a key role in extending meat-free alternatives to more settings, a strategy that has been critical for plant-based pioneer Quorn Foods. Fast food and QSR have proven fertile ground for alternative meats. How can brands like Quorn capitalise on these opportunities and, as plant-based becomes more accessible, how will the sector continue to ramp-up its reach? We are joined by Peter Harrison, Chief Commercial Officer at Quorn Foods, to learn more.
- 15.15-15.35pm CEST / 14.15-14.35pm UK: Bunge leverages its know-how across fats, oils and proteins to look at innovative formulations for the best sensory experience.
- 15.35-16.30pm CEST / 14.35-15.30pm UK: Next Generation meat alternatives: Alt meat has seen a massive influx of capital as investors recognise not only the need to transition away from intensive animal agriculture but also the opportunity on offer to develop truly disruptive product concepts. This is supporting mind-blowing levels of innovation in products and processes. From 3D printing to cellular agriculture, emerging ingredients and future-fit food tech, this expert panel will asking what developments will shape the meat alternatives of tomorrow.
This free-to-attend event will live stream across four sessions on the 8-9 June. Whether you are interested in the ingredients that are delivering better plant-based products today, or the food tech that will shape the future of the category, can you afford to miss it?