EU PIG is a four-year €2m project designed to look at health management, precision production, animal welfare and meat quality. Funded by the European Commission’s research and development programme, ‘Horizon 2020’, the project involves 19 organisations from across Europe and is being led by the UK’s Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB).
The project aims to improve the connection between producers and the latest science, husbandry techniques and technologies from within their industry via fellow producers, academics and advisors linked through thematic and regional platforms. The consortium represents 13 Member States that together account for 92% of the EU’s pig meat production and 89% of the EU’s pig herd in 2014.
The EU PIG consortium consists of or will have links to, national and regional pig producer groups, researchers, rural development boards and innovation practitioners, including a number of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
Over the next four years the project will help create practical guidance for all parts of the industry. Innovative best practice combined with scientific knowledge will be identified and shared online as well as information on how to get involved.
Who’s who in EU Pig?
• The Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board; (AHDB); United Kingdom
• Beta Technology Ltd; (BETA); United Kingdom
• Zuidelijke Land- EN Tuinbouworganisatie Vereniging; (ZLTO); Netherlands
• Stichting Wageningen Research; (WR); Netherlands
• Institut De Recerca i Tecnologia Agroalimentaries; (IRTA); Spain
• Centro Ricerche Produzioni Animali – C.R.P.A. S.P.A.; (CRPA); Italy
• Boerenbondvereniging voor Projecten vzw; (BB Projecten); Belgium
• Teagasc – Agriculture and Food Development Authority; (TEAGASC); Ireland
• Agrifood and Biosciences Institute; (AFBI); United Kingdom
• Veterinaermedizinische Universitaet Wien: (VETMEDUNIVIENNA); Austria
• Interprofession Nationale Porcine; (INAPORC); France
• Seges PS; (SEGES); Denmark
• Deutscher Raiffeisen-verband e.V.; (DRV); Germany
• Vagoallat – ES Hus Szakmakozi Szervezet es Termektanacs; (VHT); Hungary
• IFIP – Institut du Porc Association; (IFIP); France
• Gran Suino Italiano; (OI GSI); Italy
• Szkola Glowna Gospodarstwa Wiejskiego; (SGGW); Poland
• Polski Zwiazek Hodowcow i Producentow Trzody Chlewnej Polsus; (POLSUS); Poland
• Elainten Terveys ETT RY; (ETTAnimalHealth); Finland