FQN contacted the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) who provided some information but said it could not comment on details such as how many people were affected.
In one of the notifications the suspected cause of the food poisoning was histamine detected in fresh sashimi tuna and the product was recalled from consumers.
In the second one, food poisoning was potentially due to defrosted bigeye tuna loins from Spain.
Both notifications followed consumer complaints.
The FSAI told us the tuna was imported from the UK and Spain but said it could not give further details than the below.
“In both cases the tuna was mainly supplied into the restaurant trade, with a small amount sold over the counter. Where it was supplied to the final consumer point-of-sale notices were displayed,” it said.
“The implicated product has been removed from the supply chain. Both products are now out of date.
“The FSAI investigated both of these incidents and as the tuna was imported into Ireland, we notified the exporting countries through the RASFF for them to follow-up.”
Scombroid (Histamine) poisoning is a chemical intoxication caused by eating fish or fishery products that have spoiled due to certain types of bacteria, according to the Irish Sea Fisheries Board.
When fish, including tuna, are exposed to elevated temperatures for an extended period of time, spoilage bacteria can grow and produce an enzyme that can change the harmless amino acid -histidine - into histamine and other amines which are toxic at high levels, it added.