Konspol to invest in international meat plants

By Jaroslaw Adamowski

- Last updated on GMT

Konspol's slaughterhouse can process 12,000 chickens an hour
Konspol's slaughterhouse can process 12,000 chickens an hour

Related tags Meat processing Meat Chicken Livestock Beef Lamb Pork Poultry Processing and packaging Innovation

Polish poultry meat processor Konspol plans to channel up to €57m (PLN 250m) into building a number of foreign meat processing facilities.

Founder and chief executive Kazimierz Pazgan told local business daily Puls Biznesu that the company was planning to set up two new meat processing plants in Belarus and Russia, close to Moscow.
Konspol​ is also planning to launch a third foreign facility in Indonesia. The investment is expected to enable the firm to boost its presence in various Asian markets​, in particular Japan, according to Konspol’s founder. The Indonesian project will be a joint venture between the Polish meat processor and an undisclosed local company.
We have already picked the plant’s general contractor, we have a land plot, and we have secured funding for the project,​” said Pazgan. “We have a trusted local partner. The plant will be worth US$50m and it will be fitted with the most modern technology that is currently available. In mid-2017, it will operate at full capacity.​”

Mayoral assistance
Another project, which is currently being considered by Konspol, is the establishment of a fourth foreign meat processing plant in Qatar, but the investment is in its early planning stage.
The investment will also enable Konspol to expand and modernise its two facilities in Poland. At the Nowy Sącz plant, the firm is aiming to invest some PLN 40m (€9.1m) to double its meat processing capacity in the next two years. Currently, the facility can produce about 4,000 tonnes per year. To aid the development, the mayor of Nowy Sącz, Ryszard Nowak, announced plans to sell a land plot close to Konspol’s meat processing facility.

Meanwhile, Konspol is also planning to upgrade and modernise its slaughterhouse, operated by its subsidiary Konspol Bis, which has a capacity of around 12,000 head per hour. Konspol will also use a portion of the funds allocated under its investment programme to develop the group’s retail chain Kurnik.

KFC partner
Currently, export sales account for about 30% of Konspol’s revenues, and the remaining 70% is generated by Polish sales. The company’s main export markets include the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Scandinavia and Slovakia.
Set up in 1982, the company is based in Nowy Sącz in southern Poland and it is controlled by the Pazgan family. Konspol specialises in poultry meat processing and its product range comprises ham, frankfurters, pates, chicken wings, sausages and other processed meat products. The company is also one of the largest suppliers of poultry meat products to US fast food chain Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) in the Polish market.

Related topics Meat

Related news

Show more

Follow us


View more