Portugal’s health and food safety authority (ASAE) said there is a link to sausages and cheese from the Origem Transmontana brand which may have been distributed throughout the country.
After a risk assessment it was decided to withdraw the product, which can be frozen, and inform consumers so they do not eat it.
Two further probable cases are under investigation and awaiting the outcome of analysis but no deaths have been reported.
One of the cases is a resident of Switzerland who ate contaminated food in Portugal, according to the Directorate-General of Health (DGS).
Human botulism, caused by ingestion of contaminated food, is a rare but potentially fatal disease if not diagnosed rapidly and treated with antitoxin, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Foodborne botulism is often caused by eating improperly processed food. Homemade canned, preserved or fermented foodstuffs require extra caution, it added.