Nestlé to use natural refrigerants on all ice cream freezers in 2015

By Jenny Eagle contact

- Last updated on GMT

Nestlé to use natural refrigerants on all ice cream freezers in 2015

Related tags: Natural environment

Nestlé is extending a European initiative, to buy natural refrigerants instead of synthetic ones, globally from January 2015.

The investment represents 70% of Nestlé’s total spend on horizontal ice cream chest freezers, the remaining 30% is spent on other models which include upright and island models.

Environmentally efficient versions

Pascal Gréverath, head of environmental sustainability, Nestlé, told FoodProductionDaily though it would be theoretically possible to replace all the freezers at once, this would not be environmentally efficient and it is more resource-efficient to let them come to the end of their normal lifespan before replacing them gradually with more environmentally efficient versions.

We will endeavour to dispose of the old freezers in the most environmentally efficient way possible. This will include recycling all component parts, where this is available and ensuring we remain compliant with all regulations regarding the safe disposal of the other various elements within the freezers​,” he said.

When disposing of old freezers, we will pay particular attention to those containing any coolant substances to avoid any negative environmental impact​.

The freezers will be made available to our customers around the world. Therefore, they will be purchased taking into consideration where it makes most sense both from an environmental and a cost-efficiency perspective​.”

Nestlé committed itself to buying horizontal ice cream chest freezers with natural refrigerants, in 2013 in Europe and has invested $256m to implement natural alternatives in 93% of its industrial refrigeration systems.

Second stage

This is the second stage in a wider process of making its entire fleet of freezers more environmentally efficient, cooled using natural refrigerants.

These freezers are present in many of the hundreds of thousands of ice cream retail points where Nestlé’s multiple ice cream brands are available around the world​,” added Gréverath.

Nestlé also has a large fleet of industrial freezing and refrigeration units used in warehouses, factories and storage facilities​.”

He said the company is in the process of testing different technologies and assessing their environmental safety and operational performance. The roll-out will begin as soon as a satisfactory implementation and proper maintenance network is set up.

The pledges are part of Nestlé’s goal to provide further climate change leadership.

These include its commitment to progressively phase out the use of high global warming potential refrigerants, such as hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) and implementing the Consumer Goods Foru, Resolution (CGF) on Refrigeration, which encourages businesses to take action towards phasing out some HFC refrigerants from 2015.

Related news

Related products

show more

Free booklet: Fat extraction for food analysis

Free booklet: Fat extraction for food analysis

BÜCHI Labortechnik AG | 09-Dec-2019 | Technical / White Paper

Fat extraction is a standard reference method for quality control, labeling and satisfying stringent regulations. "The five essentials of fat extraction...

Know your Ethnic Dairy Opportunities

Know your Ethnic Dairy Opportunities

DuPont Nutrition & Biosciences | 05-Dec-2018 | Technical / White Paper

Global consumers often look for something new from the yogurt category and products with a good story. In Western markets, this demand is driving a trend...

Everything about in-container sterilization

Everything about in-container sterilization

John Bean Technologies (JBT) | 01-Nov-2018 | Application Note

JBT has a long history and an extensive track record in thermal processing of packaged food. JBT retorts and sterilizers are renowned for their outstanding...

Accelerate your supply chain as pressures intensify

Accelerate your supply chain as pressures intensify

William Reed | 04-Oct-2018 | Technical / White Paper

Food, Drink and Non-Food manufacturers are under pressure. Range reviews, massive retail mergers, the backlash against plastic packaging and the ongoing...

Related suppliers

Follow us

Featured Events

View more


View more