Beyond Italy: Barilla invests €30m in Harry’s bread

By Annie-Rose Harrison-Dunn

- Last updated on GMT

Barilla makes big investment in bread brand it acquired back in 2003
Barilla makes big investment in bread brand it acquired back in 2003

Related tags: Bread, Barilla

Barilla has said it plans to invest €30m into a French bakery plant for its Harry's bread brand.

The investment will be made over a period of three years at the bakery plant in Montierchaume in central France. The announcement comes alongside a separate investment of €14m into a new bread production line at a Harry's plant in Plaine de l'Ain, just outside of Lyon.

International expansion

A spokesperson for Barilla told this publication that the move demonstrates the firm’s commitment to growing business outside its home country, Italy, which currently represents about half of the company’s sales.

“France is Barilla’s second largest market after Italy and we are committed to growing there,​” said the company.

Harry’s bread brand

american sandwhich

Barilla acquired the French pre-packaged bread and breakfast brand Harry's back in 2003. Barilla already had a 49% stake in the bread group and took the remaining 51% from Artal Luxembourg that summer.

There has been a lot of talk in recent years of the bread sector's struggle to maintain volume​ in the face of bad health press and the resulting encroachment from new foods on eating occasions like breakfast traditionally dominated by bakery products.

Yet Barilla said that it does not consider the bread market to be “shrinking”​ and claims that the segment remains “dynamic”​.

“Our €30m investment proves our confidence on the development of this market and Harry's capabilities to face those challenges,”​ the company spokesperson said.

cereal harry's

Harry’s product portfolio includes traditional sliced bread lines, burger buns, brioche and products like Doowap which contain chocolate chips and are targeted towards children. The baker’s 'Beau & Bon' range includes cereal and nut loaves. 

Related topics: Business, Cereals and bakery preparations

Related news

Related products

show more

Gluten-Free oats from Finland

Gluten-Free oats from Finland

Raisio Oats | 31-Mar-2021 | Product Catalog

Raisio's high production capacity for gluten-free oats means secure supply, short lead times, a wide range of offerings and competitive pricing. Our...

Explore the EXBERRY® Oil Dispersible range

Explore the EXBERRY® Oil Dispersible range

EXBERRY® by GNT | 19-Jan-2021 | Technical / White Paper

Bring your fat-based applications to life with GNT’s newly expanded oil-dispersible range. GNT has extended its range of oil-dispersible Coloring Foods...

Deep-dive into improving packaging line efficiency

Deep-dive into improving packaging line efficiency

Sidel Group | 03-Nov-2020 | Technical / White Paper

Ever wondered what is the best way to improve your packaging line performance? Learn about the ins and outs of line regulation and accumulations in 3 steps:...

Related suppliers

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars