On June 19, the Institute will host “Innovations in Life Sciences and Technology in Improving Food Protection” in Kalamazoo, MI. The event will feature speakers from the world of academia, and from regulatory, industry and advocacy groups invested in food protection technologies.
The conference, designed for a worldwide audience, is part of the GFPI symposia series. Produced in partnership with MichBio, a biosciences trade association, the event (held at Western Michigan University’s Fetzer Center) will focus on new food protection technologies, and the road such innovations can take from concept to commercialization.
According to GFPI president and GEO Dr. Julia Bradsher, the event demonstrates the organization’s larger commitment to promote intelligent application of technology in the food industry.
“The Global Food Protection Institute’s collaboration with MichBio reflects our shared commitment to advancing science and technology to improve the protection of the food supply,” she said.
Stephen Rapundalo, president and CEO of MichBio, pointed out the issue of food safety is important in solving hunger, food shortage and other issues.
“Food safety is a growing global health challenge and we applaud GFPI’s leadership in raising awareness of this important subject and the technological applications being developed to ensure a protected food supply chain," he said.
The roster of speakers includes:
- Fred Beyerlein — CEO of nanoRETE, Inc.
- Preetha Biswas — Research Leader at Neogen Corp.
- Julia Bradsher — President and CEO of the Global Food Protection Institute
- J. Peter Clark — Consulting Process Engineer and Contributing Editor of Food Technology
- Rob DeWit — President and CEO of the Southwest Michigan Innovation Center
- Diane Durance — Executive Director of Great Lakes Entrepreneur’s Quest
- Dale Grogan — Managing Director of Michigan Accelerator Fund 1
- Tom Herlache — Assistant Director of Commercialization at MSU Technologies
- Michael Kurek — Principal Consultant for BBC Entrepreneurial Training & Consulting, LLC
- Ronald Meeusen — Co-Founder, Partner and Principal of Cultivian Ventures, LP
- Houng-Yau Mei — Chief Operating Officer at nanoRETE, Inc.
- Pat Morand — President of Open Prairie Ventures and Managing Director of the Southwest Michigan First Life Science Fund
- Harry Norris — President and CEO of Rapid Diagnostek, Inc.
- Stephen Rapundalo — President and CEO of MichBio
The conference is open to the public. For more information or to register for the conference, visit here.