Food poisoning from canned mushrooms

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: Food standards agency, Food safety, Uk food standards agency

The UK Food Standards Agency is advising consumers not to eat or
use certain tins of Dragon Boat Shiitake Mushrooms. Tests have
revealed defects in the can seams that could lead to food poisoning
bacteria being present in some of the cans.

The UK Food Standards Agency is advising consumers not to eat or use certain tins of Dragon Boat Shiitake Mushrooms. Tests have revealed defects in the can seams that could lead to food poisoning bacteria being present in some of the cans.

Although low levels of bacterial contamination have been found in some of the samples of the product which have been tested, there are no reports of blown or deformed cans or of any actual cases of illness.

However, given the problems identified with this particular batch of Dragon Boat Shiitake Mushrooms, and the probable long shelf life of the product, the Food Standards Agency advises that tins of this product should not be eaten.

Dr Jon Bell, Food Standards Agency Deputy Chief Executive and Head of Food Safety, said: "People should check that they don't have any of these particular cans of mushrooms in their cupboards at home. And caterers should check as well that they are not using them. These cans should not be opened or eaten, but safely disposed of."

Related topics: Policy

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars